Declaration of Inclusive Workplaces and Communities
The construction industry in greater Toronto is one of the strongest and most dynamic sectors of our economy. It owes its success to the hard work and tenacity of people at every level of the industry – including those born here and those whose families have come from elsewhere to build a better life.
As developers, contractors, supervisors and skilled workers, we recognize that systemic racism is a reality in today’s world, and that discrimination in any form harms our construction community. Dividing people because of race, religion, colour, ancestry or any other difference which undermines human rights serves only to weaken our industry and our society.
We commit to standing up for the rights and dignity of all in order to promote inclusive, equitable, safe and respectful workplaces and communities.
This is why we affirm that:
- The dignity of every person is essential to a safe, healthy and vibrant workplace, and we will work together to create welcoming and inclusive workplaces and training opportunities.
- Anti-Black racism, bigotry, or discrimination of any kind has no place in our workplaces or communities.
- Our industry will have zero tolerance for discrimination or acts of hate against anyone in our workplaces or enterprises.
- We will develop policies, programs and initiatives at every level of the industry to reduce and eliminate racism, intolerance and bigotry.
Download a PDF poster of the Declaration.
To endorse the Declaration, send the organization contact details to info-at-constructiondeclaration.ca. Please include: Name of Organization, Mailing Address, Contact Person, e-mail, and phone number.
- Mayor John Tory, City of Toronto
- Residential Construction Council of Ontario
- Toronto & York Region Labour Council
- General Contractors Association of Toronto
- Central Ontario Building and Construction Trades Council
- The Carpenters Union
- The Daniels Corporation
- LiUNA Local 183
- GREAT GULF
- United Association, Plumbers and Steamfitters Local 46
- Mechanical Contractors Association of Toronto
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 353
- Electrical Contractors Association of Greater Toronto
- LiUNA Local 506
- International Union of Operating Engineers Local 793
- Greater Toronto Sewer and Watermain Contractors Association
- Toronto Area Road Builders Association
- Residential and Civil Contractors Alliance of Ontario
- Heavy Construction Association of Toronto
- Metropolitan Plumbing and Heating Contractors Association
- Independent Plumbing and Heating Contractors Association
- Sheet Metal Workers and Roofers Local 30
- Toronto Sheet Metal Contractors Association
- Painters and Allied Trades District Council 46
- Building Industry and Land Development Association
- Bricklayers and Allied Crafts Union Local 2
- Heat and Frost Insulators Union Local 95
- Hilti (Canada) Corporation
- Bird Construction
- Concert Properties Ltd.
- Mattamy Homes